Sunday, October 25, 2015

October Playdough of the Month: Nutella Dough

Well, I certainly let myself get behind. October has been a fun and busy month! We've been doing a lot. I just haven't blogged any of it. As October is almost over, I'm going to try and cram in a few quick posts with some of the highlights of the month. Let's start with playdough!

What with it being October, we could have made a pumpkin playdough. But that would have been too predictable. Also, we're doing that next year. So what to do instead?

One of the books we used this month was the adorable Woody, Hazel, and Little Pip by Elsa Beskow.



Amongst other characters, this book has little acorn people and hazelnut people. Hmmmm, hazelnuts....oh, look what I just happen to have!



Several years ago, when I did preschool childcare, we made a Nutella playdough recipe. It was a simple recipe, just powdered sugar and Nutella. I was positive that I remembered the ratio.

Edward was quite interested in the Nutella jar,



while Vance wanted to play with powdered sugar.



Eventually we managed to combine our ingredients and start mixing them up.



Because I was silly, we just dumped everything into the bowl at once. This might have worked if I had remembered the correct ratios, but alas, my memory had doubled the amount of powdered sugar needed. Instead of one part sugar to two parts Nutella, we did TWO parts sugar to one part Nutella. Oops. The resulting mess was rather crumbly.



Not that the boys didn't have fun with that. And we got to play with different textures.



Eventually, we added more Nutella to our crumbly dough, and achieved a silkier, squishier texture.



We wound up with quite a lot of playdough, even accounting for the boys nibbling some. All in all, it was a success, even if we took the roundabout way of getting there. Even knowing the right recipe, from now on I'm adding powdered sugar in small increments, as it's a lot easier to correct mistakes that way. We've had a lot of fun with this playdough this month, and if you're the kind of person who can handle "ruining" Nutella, I highly recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment